Sunday 14 December 2014

End of the year... new times ahead.




Here is a little section of new work I did yesterday  ... don't ask why she has a frog on her head! And a monkey character  from a picture book I recently wrote.


I am due to graduate soon from the  MA in Children’s Book Illustration at Cambridge School of Art. It’s been a wonderful two and a half years of rediscovering illustration again, after I took a rather long break from it in 2001.

Back then I was represented by Linda Rogers (Associates) who has  since retired.  She took me on soon after graduating  from the same art school. I can still remember my excitement and buzz  from that meeting. So here I am today, reliving that buzz and excitement as I prepare for our graduation show in London in February and then onto the Bologna Children’s Book Fair!

I work in a totally new way now, using lots of texture but you can still see the same characters peeping from the pages. Whilst updating my website last night, I found my old work from the last century! So for fun here it is.  
Looking back I realise how lucky I was to work with authors such as Mary Hoffmann, Edward Blishen, Fiona Kennedy (now publisher of Orion), Dr Pete Rowan to name a few  and some great editors and publishers too.  (click on the images to enlarge)

USA cover.




















Sally sky Diver (J.M Dent/Orion)

(The Amazing Voyage of  a Cucumber Sandwich, J. Cape)

But for now it’s a beautiful crisp cold morning herein the UK , reminding me I must somehow squeeze  Christmas in as I work 24/7 finishing the MA. Fortunately I love what I do and feel so lucky to be tutored by Prof Martin Salisbury and Pam Smy plus the wonderful part time tutors up in Cambridge. 

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment